Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Journal Entry 3-8-14



This week I would like to start off with a journal entry of mine from earlier in the week. 

   Today was terrible. I am tired, my companion is driving me nuts, we have no one to teach, there is no end to the things we have to do in the office, the work is slow, it stinking rained on us and I am wet, I feel like just sleeping, I just want a break, people are so very disrespectful to us in the office, my comp keeps leaving stuff and forgetting things, the branch is not going anywhere fast, people are dumb,.............(it goes on but I think you get the point) But, I am grateful for the atonement so that I can have the strength to carry out this work from day to day, a companion who will at least work hard, to have a bed that doesn't hurt my back, to be in a tropical paradise, to have food to eat in the pantry, to have a guitar that I can play, to have a healthy body and not be sick, to be able to eat jerk, to have a truck, to be able to play basketball......................You know what after putting things like this it makes it very clear for me, 1. I need to eat and 2. I really don't have any problems worth getting angry over especially when I count my many blessings.......

I want you all to know that this is the same for you. I don't know how many arguments I get in with people out here who have a nice car, nice cloths, etc. and beg for money. They want to always know why I won't give them some and I will respond with this question "Well, I could but what about the kid down there who has no cloths, car, and no roof to live under?" They will then explode on how they don't have food. But that is not the point. The point is that we all have so many things yet every single day we think about what it would be like if we had ________. (fill it in) When in reality we have so many things, we should be sending prayers of thanks and praise up to the almighty. Remember that when you have a bad day, get a bad score on a test, or simply don't have anyone to teach because you have limited time to proselyte like me.
   Many things happened this week. First I want you all to know that Elder Newcomb and I worked everything out. He is a stud. The coolest thing that happened to me this week was probably what took place yesterday morning. We got up to just go shoot some hoops in the getto part of town, that has a really nice basketball court. While we were shooting a Jamaican walked up to us and asked to play. Of course my experience in the past I wasn't too thrilled but we never the less started to play some 21. Come to find out he was really good! I was shocked what is even more is that he played professional in Jamaica in the NBL D1 league. I don't know what that is. But long story short I beat him 21-13 and 21-8. Oh and he wants to set up a game with us and his buddies. Did anyone call for some Mormon Yankees? I think yes! Hopefully we can play them and also get to teach them. We are still working on the idea. 
   Another finding idea that we had came to us last week when we went to meet with an investigator at a park. Emancipation park is a amazing park. You have a track around  the outside with trees, a theature (the outside one), pond, chess tables, and ping pong tables. We went back another night and played some ping pong while the other talked to the people were watching. I got stomped! 21-9. I didn't even know the ball could do some of the things that man did. WOW! We did how ever get a referral for the missionaries in Port-more. We are going back tonight to do two things. 1. Play some chess and ping pong while getting people to teach. 2. We have planned out a sermon we are going to teach in the middle of the park just like how they used to do it in the olden days. I will keep you all updated on how that goes. 
    I know this email has been a little bit random but I have had a wonderful week! We get to do a lot of cool stuff here in the office. I know though if you will but simply "fear not" and trust the lord you can do all things. I have seen that ever more prevalent every single day here. I am amazed at the end of the day how much we get accomplished. The Lord is truly in this work. I would invite you all to take a step outside of your conforte zone and invite someone to church. We need every ones help! I love you all.
   Grandma! How is Duke doing? Probably not as good as North Carolina but that is okay because well I am not sure if they will ever be as good. :) I hope that the snow isn't getting you this year. I love you. Thanks for all your do. I really appreciate all the letters and stuff.
   Grandpa how is everything? I sure do miss the war stories and the simple counsel you have given me. Because of you I have made choices that I am glad I have made. You are a hero to me. I can't wait till we can talk again. I have questions for you but that will wait. I love you. Keep going only 4 more years till 100!
   Thanks again. I miss you all. I am grateful for all you do every day in my behalf and in the behalf of my brothers and sisters all over the world. Keep it up. By the way Nathan. That card you sent me, were you just sending that because you were being funny or did you have an impression. I did meet someone who only speaks Spanish. We will be giving them that card later. Let me know. Till next week. 

Elder Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment