Saturday, April 19, 2014

Conference and Miracles - 4-12-14

What a week. Conference to miracles. Wow. I just had to smile when I saw Bishop Stevenson talk because of two things 1. I saw Kyle. It has been quite a while since I have seen that kid. and 2. I saw snow. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN SINCE I HAVE SEEN THAT GORGEOUS WHITE CRYSTAL?!?!? But I really enjoyed his take on our "4 minutes to shine". We all have eternity to prepare for this quick mortal life and we have eternity to think about how we did in this life. So what will we make our "4 minutes" mean? To put that even into a better perspective we only have 2 years to live our missions what will we make of them? Always live the life to the fullest. Or to put it into words that Nathan, Gregg and I still use to this day. "Live life to the extreme". We should live everyday to be best of our abilities (to the extreme). We should invite others to come unto Christ to the extreme. We should honor our mother and father to the extreme. Or anything else we should always do to our best ability. 
   This week was no short of a miracle . Everything is looking up in our area, especially since the last three days. On Wednesday we went over to see a boy of 14 by the name of Reshawn, we wanted to get to talk to his family because he really doesn't have any ties to the church what so ever. When we showed up we noticed that there were a couple of people just sitting around. I had been studying PMG that morning on Chp. 9- finding. It was a good refresher and helped me to remember to invite all to join the lesson so that is what we did. We went on and had a pretty good conversation. We set up a return appointment for Friday. When we showed up Friday there were 3 new people who wanted to join us, all 6 were investigators. We had a powerful lesson/discussion on the Restoration. The Spirit talked to each persons heart. You could see in on their face. Unfortunately we only had one Book of Mormon to which we gave it to the one who seemed to be the most ready with the promise that we would return today to give them all one. One person asked us to bring 6 or 7 extra copies explaining that when someone would ask if they could barrow her book that she would always have one to read. It was a very powerful experience. In the course of three days we went from 2 solid investigators to 8. The Lord is God he can do all. He will guide us in every way if we do our part and prepare. I really do love that part preparing because that is when I can truly feel the Lord's hand at work and see the salvation of man coming to be. I expect that will not be the end of the story so I will update you next week.  
   What is even cooler than that is right after this powerful lesson we did not think the day could go any better! (Friday) At the conclusion of the lesson mentioned above it was about 8:30. (Which usually means our day is over because it takes a while to get back home due to the distance.) But we decided to go and try and find a man by the name of Damion. We we did! He is a less active who is is a band, he plays the electric guitar (my comps favorite instrument) and the man is super smart! Well we found his house about at 8:45. We came in and Damion was practicing with his band. Damion invited us into his garage looking like place. Elder Newcomb asked if he could see his electric guitar and started just jamming on it. (He is really good okay.) He only played one song but you could tell that it got Damion's attention. They band was all in awe and Damion asked if we could give them a lesson. It was like 8:50 but we felt prompted too so we started discussing about prayer. It was going really well, and right in the middle of it Damion asked if he could ask a question. We told him yes and then he seemed to second guess himself say "It might not be the appropriate setting." Well finally he asked. It was about the King Fillet sermon. With in the space of about 10 second the conversation went way over the rest of the bands heads. After 5 minutes of this we looked at our watches and being 9 we needed to go. So we tied it back into prayer and music, which the rest of the band understood. As we left to go some of the rest of the band, in particular the rapper, asked when church was and if they could come. So cool!!!!!!!!! They all wanted us to come back. Man the Lord works in mysterious ways but he works. There is the key word: work. We must do the same to see miracles we must work! And as we do God shows forth his power because: God a God.
   Okay last story, haha this one is pretty funny. We were teaching two 15 year old twin boys about the Plan of Salvation. I ask the one called Mario where he thought we came from. He responded from my Mom. With the look on his face like I was stupid. I probed a little deeper trying to get him to think a little more than that. I said "well where did you come from before that" He stopped for a minute and thought, hard and then spoke "Well I guess I was in some guys sperm before that." Okay has anyone ran into that problem before? How do you respond to that? Well I took the counsel of Gordon B. Hinkley and laughed. :) It is funny how people think, but they really don't know. It is our job to help them understand their true potential and as we do we take steps in reaching our potential. 
    Well that is all for this week. I love you all! I hope that my MOM didn't get you for April Fools like she always seems to get me.......one day mom I will win one day...........But I did get a couple of people this week. I sent this to my mom about my April Fools day experience here in Jamaica.
   So the first one we pulled into a gas station and we had just gotten a Chester drawers, it was in the back of the truck. Well the guy who was filling us up said "Hey where did that brown box go?" To which Elder Newcomb started to trip. I didn't catch what he was saying so I didn't do anything. The man busted a gut yelling "April fools". Well when we finished filling up the man had to go get someone else started and asked if we would wait so we could pay. Which we replied sure. Well my mind started turning and I rolled up the windows and turned on the car and drove off the parking lot. The man started running after us screaming "NO No NO NO NO!!!". I kept going and went around the building and pulled back in on the other side. The man was red and sweating bullets. Everyone in the station laughed so hard. I got out and shook the man's hand he was so embarrassed. We paid and pulled out, which as we did we heard him say "ME DONE WITH DIS! NO MORE NO MORE!!" hahaha
   The second one we did with the assistants. Elder Daniels called us up telling us that they had convinced the Kingston Zone Leaders that we had to take their truck and give it to the sisters in Mandiville because they have too much area to cover. They also told them that we would  be coming by to inspect it to see if it was clean enough for the sisters. Well our minds got turning again. We called them and told them we would inspect the truck after basketball in the morning, as well as pick it up. The assistants played really well and counseled with the Zone Leaders that night on how to split the area so they could cover it better. In the morning we picked up the truck and brought it home. Then we went to district meeting where we wrote April Fools in sticky notes on their truck. They pulled in on bicycles sweaty. We pulled the truck up (we recorded it) The one elder dropped kicked his helmate screaming "yes!!!!!!!" The other looked dumb founded. Come to find out they prayed about it and everything. haha whoops......It was hilarious. 

   I think that is a long enough email. Thanks again for all of your emails and letter. I love and cherish everyone of them. Yvonne I really enjoyed that talk you sent me. Thank you! Keep up the good work and go reread Elder Ballard's talk and go to work! The Lord has put us here for a reason now is your turn to live your "4 minutes" to the extreme!

Love,
Elder Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment