Saturday, April 19, 2014

Towards my God 4-19-14

This week I think I will start with one of my journal entries from this week.....

       4/17/2014

     "The devil was very strong tonight. We had a great lesson planned with the Langston gang (Stacy and Lance and the group). We showed up (to the lesson) just to turn around because Brother Wright (our branch mission leader) wanted to come. I stepped outside to back Elder Newcomb up; as I did so some Rasta man chewed me out. ( I am still not sure what for) I didn't think much of it at the time. So, we got Brother Wright and came back. We waited for 30 minutes before the gang came outside, which hasn't happened before they usually are outside and waiting anxiously for us. In this period of time I had an impression that we should come back another time but, I thought I was just being tired and hungry so I shrugged it off. We started the lesson like normal, with a prayer and greetings but, as we started into the lesson a crazy lady appeared out of no where and started banging and screaming (demonically) for food. Very sly. Thus causing a ere feeling to come over everyone and a huge distraction. The gang gave her some money but she wouldn't leave and she kept crying out demonically. We tried to push through it, nothing. Elder Newcomb asked if we could say a prayer and offered one. During his prayer the demonic lady got louder and louder. Screaming and banging on the fence. Then Elder Newcomb prayed for '....the adversary to leave our midst...' When he said that, instantly, she stopped and disappeared. But, the ere feeling seemed to linger. So, we closed and pointed out that Satan was present and asked for another time to come back.
       It was a very strange lesson. I need to listen to the Spirit better or at least recognize it more. The devil knows that a stake is coming and he is trying to stop it, but I will not let him. Onward. Upward. Towards my God."
   
    This truly was a strange lesson. I feel disappointed in myself that I didn't recognize the Spirit of the Lord better, but, what happened happened! I have committed myself to move on and do better for that is why we fail sometimes. The Lord is simply, sometimes, pointing out our weaknesses and what we need to work on. 
   I can't help but think of Joseph Smith in this case. Right before God appeared Satan did everything possible to stop him. Right before the world got greater light. "....immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction. But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me..........I saw a pillar of light......" Satan always tries to stop light! Even when he knows that we can crush his head. He simply relies on the fact that we don't remember that simple fact. REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CRUSH SATAN. God gave you a spirit of power (2 Tim. 1: 7). He really did. You are far more powerful than you realize. There is also another scripture that comes to mind. Flip to Moses 1: 12-22
   In this instance Moses just speaks with God himself and immediately after Satan comes trying to undo and spread seeds of doubt into Moses' mind and heart. If you will read carefully Satan does a full out attack. Everything he has! He does things subtle and things flat out. For example, ....(verse 12) "Moses, son of man, worship me...." First Satan calls him the son of Man, which can be considered as partly true because we are all born into this life because of man. But in the context it was used it is completely false. Then worship me. Pretty blunt, if you ask me. As the story goes Moses compares him to God and sees exactly what he should do. We all should compare our decisions and then make the decision. But in the end the result is the same. Satan loses and light triumphs. Just as is shall always be. The reason why I bring this up though is because these two stories are exactly what happened to us with the Langston gang. The first 2 lessons were very powerful and I would be willing to venture that that lesson would have been the same if there was not any interruption. And looking from the aspect of the JS story. God is about to create a stake (a great moment of light) and the devil is doing everything he can to stop it.
    All in all remember that you are great in the eyes of God. You are a child of God. This Easter season helps us to remember that Jesus has risen. And because he has risen we have the power to move forward to become better! Come to know this Jesus of Nazareth. Learn of him but more importantly obtain a relationship with him. For that is the pearl of great price in this life is that relationship that we can have with our Savior and Redeemer. He really does live. I know he does and the relationship I have with my God I consider priceless. I love you all. Thanks again for all the emails and prayers. Grandpa I love you!!!! I am in particular grateful for you thoughtfulness towards me. Thank you! Grandma I am also grateful for the support you give me as well as the love. Thank you. Well until next week.

Elder Henderson

PS- the pictures are of our trip to Linstead. Someone at the gas station there filled the sisters' truck with gasoline instead of diesel. Yeah messed up the motor and we were going up there to get a written acceptance of liability. We spent over an hour trying to get the information we needed to no avail. But long story short with our persuasion skills, as well as our listening skills, we got the number for the owner and the address for the business. We are just going to let the insurance company duel it out. We have evidence that completely proves them in the wrong namely a receipt, 2 witnesses, the gas cap, etc. So everything is resolved. Got to love being the office elder. 




No comments:

Post a Comment