Saturday, February 22, 2014

First Full Week in Office - CRAZY!!! 2/22/2014


   All I can say about this week is that it was one crazy week. Man!!! I am so glad it is P-Day and we can just take a moment to slow down for a bit. There is a lot that happens in here. I had no idea! Truthfully I am grateful for the Spirit of remembrance and patience because with out those two things I would punch a hole in the wall and things in here would be a mess. But things aren't a mess they are running very smoothly for the mission. And there isn't a hole in the wall. So there are things to be grateful for. :)
    As I sacrament meeting started last week I looked around and there was less than half of the people I was used too. I think there was like 15 or less. It was very disappointing for me. Especially after I found out that the Downtown Kingston branch used to be one of the strongest branches in the mission. Ever since that point I have been pondering and praying for guidance on how to get this branch back up to the spot it once was. There is a lot to do. I came to the decision that first there needs to be full auxiliaries that are working together properly. Right now there is a Branch President (no counselors), a Relief Society President (no counselors) and an Elders Quorum President (No counselors). So throughout this whole week that was on my mind. We sat and discussed with the Branch President (President Stewart) 'What his vision for the branch was'. He had no idea. So after about an hour of discussing we got a vision that us as missionaries and he as the branch president are working toward. Getting things back to where they were.
   Over the course of this week we have found and interviewed one person for relief society and identified someone who could serve as a counselor for the branch. Small steps makes large leaps not so large. And that is where the work is at right now. I wish I had more time so we could get things moving a little faster but, who knows, maybe God thinks I am too impatient. So, I am going to have to learn a little more patience with the work, people, and of course with myself.
   This week I was reading Enos. It took me over three days to finish the whole book just because I took my time and really thought about what he was saying. There are enormous similarities between him and 1 Nephi. I really enjoyed the first verses in each book how it talks about their parents. "I, Nephi, having been born of goodly  parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many  afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days."
    "Behold, it came to pass that I,  Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man—for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it—"    Wow. I can not tell all of you how these two verses as so similar to me in my life. 1. I was "born of goodly parents". Mom and Dad you have always showed my the way that I needed to go. You gave me the perfect example of trusting God and leaving the worrying up to him as you did you best. 2. I was "taught...in the language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord...." I have been taught in the language of prayer, the language of the scriptues, the language of the Spirit and the language of food (okay I was just kidding about that one). As I have learned and grown I have always been able to ask you questions and sometimes I don't ask questions but just watch and observe you. No matter which way I choose I always get the answer I am looking for. 3. "Blessed be the name of my God for it." How am I to put into words they way I feel about two of my best friends? Just know that I truly am grateful, just like Nephi and Enos to have such amazing and wonderful parents. I love you both. I truly hope that one day I can look you in the eye and truly tell you that I have done my best not only in my mission but also in getting and obtaining a personal relationship with my Father in Heaven. Keep up the good work.    I love you all. You are all in my prayers. I invite all of you to reread those precious verses in 1 Nephi 1 and Enos 1. There are many more eternal truths in those books. Even in those two short verses that I shared with you. I can promise you that because I have found many things just in the first verse alone that I haven't even shared with all of you. I will let stand what I have said but keep the others. I don't want to rob all of you the opportunity of having the joy in finding something yourselves. Love you all again.
Elder Henderson

Me and Elder Norman in Spanish Town
Elder Hamilton at transfers. I played baseball against him in Provo.


No comments:

Post a Comment