Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New companion 5-10-14

   Transfers, aka the most stressful week.....every six weeks. Elder Martin is finally in the office! Nathan do you know a Austin Martin? He went to your school and he says he knows you and Gregg. But Elder Martin and I are getting along quite well as we both are learning what the heck is going on here in the office. 
   There isn't much to report on this week, just transfer stuff, but we did go on an amazing run this last Monday. Wow. We got up at 4:45 and drove to this narrow strip of land, the ocean is on both sides of us, and ran for a good 30 minutes. It was the funnest run I have ever been on. We watched the sun peak over the mountains and strike the turquoise water. There was a slight breeze that brought the sea smell into your nose as well, it was just a blast. And the worst part about it is I think I realized that I have gotten so used to being tired that 5 hours of sleep really didn't affect me. I am either on a mission or I am really old.
    I was reading this morning in Alma chapter 36, I was studying on how the Book of Mormon answers the questions of the soul (PMG). And as I was reading the intro to the section the word hope stood out to me for some reason. I just kind of put the idea to the side because I was studding for investigators, but as I started to read I was astounded by what I learned about hope.
   If you would like to open to Alma 36: 3. In this verse we learn why hope is so important "....whosoever shall put their trust (hope) in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day....." But what happens when we lose all hope? Well that very thing happened to Alma later in the chapter as he recounts this story. Verse 9-11 and 15. In these verses we learn that when all hope is lost that we lose the direction or foresight to put our labors or faith toward. And when that happens we are just wasting a lot of energy not going anywhere or accomplishing anything. When Alma loses that hope he doesn't know what to do, he just wants to be destroyed because he doesn't believe that he can become like God or even live with him. Now when we go into verse 17, Alma gets hope back almost instantly and thus shows the stark contrast between hopelessness and one who is full of hope. "....I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sings of the world. Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried......." The moment Alma retains his hope in Christ all his energy (faith) and driving force (faith) was put into making this hope a reality. As Alma continues we see in verse 20 the kind of feelings  that go along with that hope. The scripture continues in verse 22: that Alma's hope grew even more when God showed him what he could become and as that happens his natural instinct in to invite others and give them the hope he has received. (verse 24 and 26). 
   What ever your circumstance there is hope. You have more potential than you realize! And if you don't believe so then you don't have a hope in Christ and I would invite you to spend some time on your knees begging with the all mighty God to give you a vision of what you can be. I promise you if you do that God will give you a glimpse and when you receive that you will start to see your actions fulfill that foresight/hope that you have and you will once again feel those feelings of love, joy, peace, etc. I promise.
    Well, that is my thought for you today. It is an interesting chapter. There are many more things I wish to share with you all that I have learned in this chapter but I don't have time so this will suffice. I love you all. Happy Mother's DAY! 

Elder Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment